Surgical Abortion (Up To Twelve Or Thirteen Weeks Of Pregnancy), 
- This procedure can be done without anesthesia, meaning the patient is awake and alert. If you are further along in your pregnancy, the doctor may begin by using local anesthesia to numb the cervix.
- The cervix must be stretched open. Once the doctor has a clear pathway, he or she will begin dilation of the cervix.
- When the cervix is fully dilated, the doctor suctions out the contents of the uterus using a manual or machine vacuum.
- After the fetus and the pregnancy tissue have been removed, the doctor will inspect the cervix and other internal organs.
- To ensure the procedure is complete, some providers will use a sharp curette to scrape the lining of the uterus. This can then be followed by final suctioning to ensure that nothing has been leftover inside the uterus.
The recovery time after the procedure varies. Physical complications resulting from the abortion may happen immediately or sometime later. It is encouraged for post-abortion women to seek counseling following an abortion to process emotions that may develop immediately or over time.
After Abortion Support
https://www.postabortioninfo.com and 828-558-4466
 Medical Abortion. Mayo Clinic Website: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/medical-abortion/about/pac-20394687. Published May 14, 2020. February 1, 2023.
 Clinical Trials Experience, Danco Laboratories, last modified March 2016, http://www.earlyoptionpill.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Prescribing-Info-and-MG_BW.pdf.
 Abortion (Termination of Pregnancy). Harvard University Website: https://www.health.harvard.edu/medical-tests-and-procedures/abortion-termination-of-pregnancy-a-to-z. Published January 2019. Retrieved February 2, 2023.
 Women’s Right to Know, Louisiana Department of Health Website: https://ldh.la.gov/page/1036. Retrieved February 6, 2023.
 Christian Adoption Services Website: https://www.christianadopt.org/ Retrieved February 1, 2023.